Skip to Main Content


  1. How long will it take for me to obtain housing?
    The time frame varies on the number of vacancies we have each month and how many people are applying for housing. The waiting list also varies depending on which bedroom size you are qualified for. However, you are valued as an applicant and we will work diligently to provide you with housing as soon as we are able.
  2. What if I owe money to a formal landlord or have a criminal history, can I still be housed?
    Every applicant is subject to our screening process that includes, but is not limited to a criminal background check and former tenancy histories. Applicants that owe a Housing Authority or any other federally subsidized program will not be processed for occupancy. The applicant must pay the funds owed prior to the application being processed. After the application is processed, the applicant must meet all other conditions for occupancy. Re-paying funds that are due, does not necessarily qualify an applicant for occupancy or program participation.
  3. What if I need emergency housing?
    The Lenoir Housing Authority CAN NOT provide emergency housing. Please see the list of shelters listed under helpful links.
  4. If I live in public housing, can I apply for the housing choice voucher program (previously known as Section 8)?
    If the waiting list is open you may contact the Western Piedmont Council of Governments to apply. 

  • Security deposit and pro-rated rent are due upon move-in.
  • Utility service must be acquired by the resident in the HoH or another adult household member's name prior to obtaining the key to their new apartment.  Verification is to be submitted showing account number(s) and date of service transfer.
  • Deduction allowances are considered for:
    • Dependents
    • Full-time students over the age of 18
    • Child care expenses when applicable.
    • Ongoing medical expenses for disabled/handicapped/elderly that are paid out of pocket.

Birth Certificate Replacement Information

Caldwell County Vital Records
Caldwell County Register of Deeds
905 West Avenue NW Lenoir
(828) 757-1310

N.C. Vital Records
Location: 225 North McDowell Street
Raleigh, NC 27603-1382
Mail: 1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1900
(919) 733-3000

Social Security Card Replacement Information

Local Social Security Office
1050 US HWY 321 NW
Hickory, NC 28601
(888) 877-1615
(800) 735-8262
Social Security - (800) 772-1213